Saturday, June 14, 2014

In Which The Shit Gets Real

Day 18
Today's word count: 1775
Overall word count: 22710

BOOM! goes the roadblock.

I stalled out for a day or two. I think it's because I got to what feels like the end of "Act 1." Some early conflict worked its way out, and opened the door to bigger conflict. Most of the story lines hit kind of a hump. I had to think hard about what comes next.

This world is getting bigger and more complex in a hurry. I think I chose a pretty tough setting for a first novel. The imagining isn't hard; I've been building imaginary worlds in my head for as long as I can remember. The hard part is the exposition: how much to show the reader, and when and how. I want people to be curious about what's around the corner, and about what things mean, but not to feel completely in the dark.

I'm excited to keep going! I'm excited to find out what happens next. And if I'm going, "Oh man, how the hell are they going to get through this," I can only hope that someone reading will feel the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment