Monday, June 16, 2014

Blood and Alcohol

Day 20
Today's word count: 675
Overall word count: 24264

Whoa! Some words and a new character. Not sure where HE came from. But I'm a bit tipsy and he seems like an interesting fellow, so I'll be back for more of him tomorrow. I wonder if Stephen King's edict of "I write 2000 words a day, but you can do 1000 if you're a sissy" is going to work for me at all. Because I feel pretty accomplished about today, despite getting only 600-some words.

Then there were those days where I did 4000+ or 3000+. I dunno.

Also, my wife is watching Game of Thrones on Netflix on her laptop. I can see it out of the corner of my eye, so I better close my Google Doc before I just decide to kill all my cool characters and leave the assholes.

See you next time!

4 comments:

  1. How I imagine this new character's plot thread if you continued to drunkenly watch GoT while writing:
    *New character does some stupid shit*
    "Well, I didn't know where you came from, but I know where you are going." *New character contracts localized grey scale on his penis from sister, has to cut off hand and replace with gold prosthetic to continue to have pleasure in life. His father is so disappointed in him that he self-immolates to cleanse away his sins to the one-true god, who knows nothing. Corpse is eaten by a dragon.*
    "That's some solid writing!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...if I use this, do I owe you royalties now?

      Delete
  2. Oh god, if GoT is going to effect you, you're now required to write an entire 700 page book leaving out every interesting character you haven't killed off yet.

    It looks like you're rocking along! 1000-1500 good words a day isn't bad at all. To finish Nanowrimo you have to hit 1667 a day to hit the "goal." Which typically would burn me out bad (arbitrary pressure and me don't get along well) but as an open-ended goal, that's not shabby at all.

    In his book does King extol the merits of heavy cocaine use to fuel writing binges like his work? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! Yeah, I've tried to use the 1000-2000 words per day as a measuring stick, but I don't beat myself up if I don't make it, and I definitely don't force out more words than I have in me on a given day. Some days I'm just feeling kind of stuck, and I may back up, reread a little, and figure out where I turned wrong. Those are the days I get out 100 words (or zero!)

      King does in fact talk very frankly about the role of coke (and alcohol, and a ton of other drugs) on his famously prolific early output. The crazy thing is that he's been sober since 1987 and he's still pretty damn fast.

      Delete